Donate
   May 2019   
SMTWTFS
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 
     
Words of Hope
History of Cedar Grove CC

Hebrews 3:4    For every house is builded by some man: but he that built all things is God.

Cedar Grove Christian Church was organized in 1875, under the leadership of Elders A. J. Hurdle, Glen Clark, C.C. Hailey, and H.S. Gerring.

The structure was a small 12 X 12 frame building located on the Old Glen Road on a hill surrounded by cedar trees. In later years, the congregation adopted the name Cedar Grove. 

In 1882, the Rockwall County School District furnished materials to construct a one-room facility.  Following the completion of this construction, Cedar Grove began their worship service. The land was donated by Mr. Glen Clark, a resident of the community, to be used for as long as the school was in operation. In early summer of 1928, the building was destroyed by fire. This disaster left  no place to worship, Cedar Grove then began worshipping under shade trees during the warm months. In the fall of that year, Sister Martha Roberts, a member and community resident, offered a vacant house for rent. This offer was made to the School District as well as Cedar Grove. The location was the lower Glen Hill Settlement, now under water of Lake Ray Hubbard. The leadership was under Elder P. Thomas.

In 1930, Sister Jody Chisolm, daughter of one of the founders, furnished land to build a tabernacle. The location was approximately 100 feet southwest of the present location. The leadership was under Elder Noah Johnson.

In 1940, a new building was constructed for the school. It was located just above Lake Ray Hubbard. This land was given by an early church official,  Bro. John Martin, a resident of his community. The worship services were then moved from the dirt floor tabernacle into the new school house. The pastor, Elder T. E. Campbell, also doubled as the coummunity teacher.

In 1942, the membership began to grow under the leadership of Elder W. M. Waterhouse. The organization began to raise funds for a larger place to worship. The land, which is the present location of Cedar Grove, was given by the late Sister Chisolm. The structure was built by the late Bros. Houston and R. T. Moton. Under the leadership of Elder Ferguson the sanctuary was completed in 1952..  The late Elder H. G. Smith led the congregation in dedication services for this building.

The membership continued to grow duing the pastorlship of Elder M. L. Fountain, preceded by the late Elder R. L. Searcy.

On November 14, 1976, a ground breaking ceremony was held for the present building, under the leadership of the late Elder James Holllis Jennings. During the transitional period, worship services were relocated to the Lake Chapel Funeral Home in Rockwall.

On May 1, 1977a dedication service was held at this present site, overlooking Lake Ray Hubbard, east of Interstate 30 and (FM 740) Ridge Road in Rockwall County, Texas. Elder Carlos Bates, then pastor, led the congregation in this joyous occasion.

On July 4, 1982, the church appointed Bro. Gilbert Guidry, Jr., to the pastoralship.  Bro. Guidry served his term faithfully.

The burning of the loan note for this present sanctuary was held the fourth Sunday in January 1982.

In October 1988, Bro. Albert J. Burris. was appointed pastor.

Under Bro. Burris, Cedar Grove Christian Church was blessed with several associate ministers: Bro. James Strange and Bro. Alex Spencer. The year of 1992 enabled us to become acquainted with Bro. Lorenzo Smith and Bro. W. D. Hines.  In, 1993 we were blessed with Associate Minister Greg Wren.

Bro. Burris retired in November of 2001.

November 2001, Bro. Larry R. Robertson, Sr. was appointed pastor.

In 2004 we were blessed with Associate Pastor Gary Nelson.

In the Spring of 2005, Cedar Grove Christian Church (CGCC) started a college scholarship fund. The first scholarships were awarded in August of 2005 to La Sonya Nelson and Daralyn Caraway.

In 2005 the Eugene Wright male chorus was formed, honoring long time and faithful choir member, Eugene Wright.

In December of 2005, CGCC held its 1st annual Christmas Banquet. The banquet was coordinated by Sis. Edna Blackshear.

In April of 2007, under the leadership of Pastor Larry Robertson, CGCC building fund was started.

On October 14, 2007 CGCC held its first Octoberfest celebration.

In 2008, CGCC purchased land at 4601 Sunnybrook Drive in Rowlett, Texas.

On May 1, 2009  the women of CBCC held their first annual Women's Retreat at the Hilton Dallas / Rockwall Lakefront Hotel on Lake Ray Hubbard.

On October 3, 2009, CGCC held ist land dedication ceremony.

On July 31, 2012, church administrators signed closing papers, finalizing the sell of the CGCC location that  overlooks Lake Ray Hubbard.

On April 13, 2013, CGCC  held its ground breaking celebration for the new church location, 4601 Sunnybrook Drive in Rowlett, Texas.

On June 16. 2013, CGCC held its final worship service at 2880 Horizon Road, Rockwall, Texas.

On Sunday  June 23, 2013,  CGCC moved to its temporary location, Best Western Plus Hotel,   996  .  I-  30, Rockwall, Texas/

On May 15, 2014 CGCC  held a church parking lot extravaganza dedication service for the new church located at 4601 Sunnybrook Dr.  Rowlett, Texas

On June 15, 2014, CGCC held its first service at the new location.

On July 20, 2013, CGCC held its church dedication service.

 

 

 

Post a Comment